Suspect in student torture case remanded – 19 Aug 2022

Lawyers thrash accused on court premises

A large number of lawyers attacked the main suspect in a case of torture and humiliation of a woman when he was brought by the police for presentation before a court for remand.

The suspect, Sheikh Danish, was produced in the court and the police requested his 14–day remand.

However, the court remand him in police custody for five days.

The suspect was manhandled by a large number of lawyers when he was brought to the court.

The police took him to the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge Shafaqat Ali and called more personnel. On the orders of the police officers, teams of the Elite Force surrounded the court. Later, Civil Judge Ali Raza heard the case in the same room.

The suspect’s lawyer argued that the complainant woman was 26 years old, while Danish’s daughter was aged 14, showing that they could not be class fellows.

The lawyer asked how the suspect could have committed rape in front of his daughter. He said that apart from the digital video recorder, the police had confiscated mobile phones, cars and laptops, and there was no reason to seek the remand. The lawyer alleged that it was a case of blackmailing. The plaintiff’s lawyer said a person who could severely humiliate a girl in front of his wife and daughter could not be innocent.

Lawyers present in the court also raised slogans against the suspect.

The plaintiff’s lawyer denied the allegation of blackmailing.

He said the woman’s brothers were living in Australia and England and they could not indulge in such an act. The lawyer supported the request for physical remand of the suspect, telling the court on that Sections 365B and 452 had been added by the police in the case filed against him.

The lawyer of the defendant said the provisions had been applied to his client without informing him.

The information officer requested the court to approve a 14-day remand of the suspect. The court handed over the suspect to the police for five days.

The police took the suspect out from the backdoor of the court.

He was taken to Kotwali police station in a convoy of Elite Force vehicles. A large number of lawyers ad media persons were present outside the court.

When the lawyers tortured him, he ran to the court before the police escorting him.

City Police Officer Omer Saeed told reporters that team headed by the SSP investigation and comprising the SP of Lyalpur Town, DSP legal, DSP of Kotwali and a prosecutor was investigating the case.

He said exemplary action would be taken according to the law.

Read more